Medical Lab Scientist/Medical Lab Technician-DSS (Supplemental)
This job posting is no longer active.
- Henderson, KY
- Deaconess Henderson Hospital
- Core Lab
- Supplemental - Various
- Scheduled Weekday: Monday - Sunday
- Shift Start Time: Varies
- Shift End Time: Varies
- Weekend Shift Assignments: None
- Holiday Shift Assignments: None
- Position Eligible Incentives: None
- Req #: 21923
SUMMARY OF THE JOB
This position has primary responsibility of performing and maintaining laboratory procedures and equipment.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Job Duties include the following, other duties may be assigned:
- Performs technical procedures which involve accurately assaying various analytes, using a variety of instruments, middleware, computer systems and fully automated systems and non-automated procedures.
- Performs instrument maintenance, reagent preparation, and calibration by performing various routine instrument checks, cleaning procedures and replacement of instrument parts and investigating basic instrument malfunctions on analyzers according to a written schedule or verbal instructions.
- Documents technical information involving general duties to write, document and maintain information to produce quality test results. These duties include:
- Documenting calibrations, quality control results, maintenance.
- Reporting results by lab computer, manual requisition, fax and phone.
- Maintaining and filing records of preliminary results.
- Printing and reviewing various lab computer reports.
- Reviewing and remaining current with documents related to policies, procedures, webinservices, and other assigned duties.
- When needed, maintains and reviews patient history for evidence of any serological problems that could affect transfusion.
- Completes required training, continuing education and competency assessments.
- Provides information for proper charges, as needed.
- Stocks supplies.
- When needed, prepares, inspects, and issues blood and blood products to assure the safety of transfusion to the patient. Strict adherence to proper unit/patient identification, and determination of safe, appropriate products are important to complete this duty.
- Each staff member will participate in/perform one or more of the following tasks required of the section under the direction of the Manager or Lead Tech, examples as follows:
- Takes inventory and orders and stocks supplies.
- Reviews other than daily quality control results.
- Assists with recommending new methods and equipment.
- Designs and performs new test development, taking corrective action as needed.
- Orients new employees, making recommendations for additional training when needed.
- Reviews and update section manuals.
- Performs or ensures extended preventative maintenance is performed.
- Evaluates new lot number of reagents.
- Participates in the competency assessment of others in the section when qualified.
- Participates in Quality assessment data gathering and activities
- Assists with the lab computer build and testing.
- Participates in the time keeping for the section.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Complies with Safety Policies, Standards of Employee Conduct and Laboratory General, Computer and Compliance Policies and Procedures.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Assumes Laboratory Charge Technologist responsibilities as assigned. Or in the absence of the Manager or Lead. May be designated as a General Supervisor in accordance with CLIA to assess competency of other staff and to perform other regulatory duties.
Competencies: If applicable and not listed below, please refer to the department for required competencies.
JOB REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily and must clearly demonstrate all required competencies. The education/experience, certifications, skills, physical demands, and work environment described below further define requirements associated with this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must have basic technical knowledge and grasp of theory related to the section specific testing performed.
- Must be able to successfully complete training, perform all procedures and maintain competency in assigned sections.
- Must understand limitations of the department's diagnostic instruments and procedures.
- Must be familiar with and follow all safety procedures.
Education and Experience
- Equivalent to a Bachelor’s Degree with specialized training in Medical Technology or directly related field. Certified as a MLS by ASCP and maintains certification while employed.
- Equivalent to an Associate’s Degree with specialized training in Medical Technology or directly related field. Certified as MLT by ASCP and maintains certification while employed.
- Education required to be registered by American Medical Technologist (AMT) with 2-3 years of similar lab experience.
- Education required to be registered by the Federal government/ and Human Resources (HHS) with 2-3 years similar lab experience.
- Proof of education will be required. This proof will be in the form of an authenticated copy of an original diploma or transcripts. Transcripts may be required if further definition of a degree is needed.
- ASCP certification must be acquired within 3 years of hire date and maintained while employed.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations